Wednesday, August 11, 2010

NOT A PORTRAIT

NOT A PORTRAIT
model sketch about 12x16, oil
I was getting heavy handed with my painting, so I made a point of attending the live model sessions at Huntsville Art League.  I sketched in pencil for the short sessions, but when we were ready for the long pose session I was feeling the need to use something fluid to describe what I was seeing.  It just seems easier.    This is just thin burnt sienna oil paint, no white or any other color, just wiping out  the light areas with my fingers or paper.   The "real" portrait artists would use this for a sketch, or they might  start adding thicker mixed colors for the next step in a portrait.  For me, it will go in the stack of practice sketches.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. It is always great to see someone using different technique, media etc.. The last Monday of the month is single pose day.
    Also, Terri is modeling again on 23rd.

    ReplyDelete