Saturday, December 13, 2008

BETTER IN PERSON

Pierre Bonnard
BETTER IN PERSON
I skipped seeing the Radio City Rockettes Christmas Show in New York City so I could walk to the Museum of Modern Art. This was my first visit. The galleries are vast - big white boxes filled with throngs of people for the holidays. When I entered the gallery where this Pierre Bonnard was on exhibit, it was quieter than most. People were lined up on one side of the room nearly to the opposite wall to get a view of the 60 foot triptich of Monet's water lillies. Somehow it added a hush to the room. I heard people saying they were not impressed with it. Really. I suppose the general public can't imagine what makes that series a landmark. A painter can recognize the maturity of a vision like that.
I was able to sit and view this and another Bonnard with my back to the huge Monet water lilly painting. Rewards came from study. What appears dense is lightly applied. The Bonnard paintings are full of mystery and light, even though the subject comes from an ordinary place. It's that trite but true that paintings and music are much better in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment