Saturday, September 5, 2009

3 A DAY

pastel on Canson paper, about 12x15
12 artists are lucky to be taking a workshop with Margaret Dyer
http://www.margaretdyer.com/ painting in pastel with a model for 3 days. Pastel is new to me, and I'm thrilled to give it a try under this master artist and wonderful models. I'm calling these studies and showing you the ok and the not so ok.
pastel on Canson paper, about 12x17 This one falls in the not so ok category
pastel on Canson paper about 12x16
I wish I had permission from the model to show photos of the live pose. I was just trying to do do justice to the teaching and the great poses from the model. Margaret is explaining firmly that the darks are needed first, saving the light shapes - emphasizing that almost any color will do as long as it fits in the value scheme. That's enough to distill, along with trying to find the technique to convey what we see in front of us. I'm also tickled to get 3 paintings (sketches) done in a day. Even as an oil painter, I can recommend Margaret Dyer as a super teacher - pushing students and encouraging at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Robin, it has been awhile since I have visited your inspiring blog, and seeing all your recent work is a real treat. I especially like the antique boats and rushing stream studies--captivating compositions and lovely tonal balance. Thank you for sharing the wonderful studies from your class--amazing work given that the medium is new to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary, especially for being there to inspire and encourage artists- your work is just invaluable

    ReplyDelete