Friday, September 4, 2009

FAST CURVES

Fast Curves 9x12, oil on linen panel
I had a delightful time this week with a painting class- they inspire me and keep me laughing- and they're wonderful oil painters. This is a scene they requested as a demonstration. The photo had good lights and darks, but the pattern wasn't totally clear. I paid attention to something to help the composition and an x or v pattern emerged. Then I laid in the thin darks and slowly built it up shape by shape and color by color - which turned out to be simple neutrals. I say slowly, but it only took about an hour. That acid green fools the eye into thinking there is more color that is actually there. Looking at forest streams is like being at the ocean - the motion and sound lull me into peaceful thoughts....
$350 unframed, click on the image to see the texture

No comments:

Post a Comment