Thursday, January 14, 2010

CATTLE DRIVE improved version


One of my ways of thinking about painting came from watercolor.  Because it's on paper, a painting can easily be cropped to improve the composition.  Things are usually improved noticeably by eliminating information.    Lots of painters turn a painting to the wall and give it another look at a later time to make improvements.      In this case, the top half of the painting was  generally blank.   The suggestions of the hills rising up to the mountain pastures where the cows were grazing in the summer turned out to be an improvement.   So I added something instead of taking something away from the composition.   After I took this photo, I glazed the hills warmer and tweaked the cowboys  and horses.   I'll have to live with it more to know if it's finished..... thanks for your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment